National Platform of Training Institutions
In 2008, ZIF initiated a platform of exchange among national training institutions to support the comprehensive approach of international peace support operations at the national level. Members of the platform are representatives from the following training institutions:
- Command and Staff College of the German Armed Forces
- Bundeswehr UN Training Centre
- Federal Police College Lübeck
- Police College North Rhine-Westphalia in Brühl
- Police College Baden-Württemberg in Böblingen
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ),
- Federal Ministry of the Interior,
- Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development,
- Federal Ministry of Justice (available in German only),
- and ZIF.
The goal of the National Platform of Training Institutions is to make use of the different resources available and build on synergies that exist among the institutions in the area of training and preparation of experts for working in peace support operations. It also serves as a forum of regular information exchange, the development of joint training standards, and the carrying out of joint training courses, currently on the following topics:
- Modules of the ZIF Core Course on Peace Operations and HEAT trainings in cooperation with the Bundeswehr UN Training Centre
- UN-Administration and Field Support courses with the UN Department for Field Support and the Command and Staff College of the German armed forces
- United Nations Staff Officer Courses
- Courses on Mentoring & Advising and Women, Peace & Security developed and carried out with different training partners from the police and the armed forces
- Course on Comprehensive Approaches in Multi-Dimensional Peace Operations with the Command and Staff College of the German armed forces
The close cooperation among the training institutions and the joint preparation of experts for deployment strengthens the mutual understanding of the roles of civilian, police and military personnel in a mission.
By participating in international, multi-dimensional exercises, like the „Viking 11“ Exercise, ZIF ensures that the civilian components are not just considered, but actively included in the planning of peace support operations.
Furthermore since 2009, the National Platform of Training Institutions actively participates in the annual conference of the International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centres (IAPTC).